INDIANAPOLIS — Andrew Luck won’t throw at this week’s NFL Scouting Combine, but that won’t tarnish his rising star in a city he might soon call home.
“I was told earlier that there was something out there that teams had advised me not to throw, and that was not the case,” Luck told reporters Friday.
“I made the decision by myself. I bounced it off my agent and my father (former NFL signal-caller Oliver Luck), and I felt like it was in my best interest to wait until (Stanford’s) pro day. So, we’ll go from there.”
That was Luck’s opener in a news conference he mowed down with a calm, even poise. In assuming his likely role as April’s top prize in the draft, Luck stood at Podium C — above a raucous sea of microphones, floodlights and members of the media — and flawlessly answered questions about his future.
And that’s a future that most likely will unfold right here inside Lucas Oil Stadium, but while Luck is prepared to call Indianapolis home and the Colts can negotiate a contract with him if they choose, he’s holding off on house shopping.
“It’s a little premature for that, I think,” Luck jokingly said.
In back-to-back news conferences Friday, RGIII and Luck only fueled the perception they’re the best this class has to offer at the quarterback position. But when asked if he was competing for the top spot, Luck remained polished.
“Everyone wants to be No. 1, but not at the expense of another person,” he said.
– Marc Sessler