Published: November 10th, 2011 | Tags: First and 10, Al Davis, Baltimore Ravens, Charles Woodson, DeMarco Murray, Ed Dickson, Green Bay Packers, Joe Paterno, Michael Fabiano, NFL Films, NFL Network, Oakland Raiders, Penn State, Peyton Manning, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rex Ryan, Roger Goodell, Ryan Clark, San Diego Chargers, Tom Brady
NFL Network’s schedule of Thursday night games kicks off at 8 p.m. ET with an important divisional showdown, as Carson Palmer’s Oakland Raiders battle Philip Rivers’ San Diego Chargers for first place in the AFC West. Read a preview of this important rivalry game, and if you’re in the mood for nostalgia, watch a flashback of 1978′s infamous “Holy Roller” incident.
Here’s what else is on tap for Thursday:
- Joe Paterno sent scores of players and coaches to the NFL during his 46 years at the head of Penn State’s football program, and across the league on Wednesday many of them reacted with shock and sadness to the news of Paterno’s firing amid allegations of sexual abuse by one of his former assistant coaches. Tune into NFL Network throughout the day for more breaking coverage of the Penn State story.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers are once again angry with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, this time for a $40,000 fine levied against safety Ryan Clark for his hit on Baltimore Ravens tight end Ed Dickson Sunday night.
- Forget the “one game at a time” cliche. The Green Bay Packers are 8-0, and Charles Woodson isn’t afraid to address the possibility of the defending Super Bowl champs running the table.
- Jets coach Rex Ryan told reporters where he ranks Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, but while complimenting those QBs, he inadvertently dissed a certain Super Bowl MVP.
- With the NFL regular season at its midway point, we asked our panel of experts to choose the best game of the year thus far, and there were plenty of worthy candidates.
- Have your say in who wins top honors for last weekend’s games by voting for the NFL’s Hardest Working Man award, the Rookie of the Week, Air & Ground Players of the Week, and Never Say Never Moment of the Week. And don’t forget to fill out your Pro Bowl ballot.
- Get an exclusive first look at the next episode of “A Football
Life,” which chronicles the one-of-a-kind life of legendary Raiders owner Al
Davis. The full NFL Films documentary airs Friday night on NFL Network.
- There might not be a hotter RB in the NFL than Dallas rookie DeMarco Murray, who has 466 yards in his past three games. Michael Fabiano says you should start Murray in your fantasy league, and he has some other intriguing names to look for in Week 10.
- Come up with names for the week’s most exciting plays, and tweet your way into the NFL history books. We’ll pick our favorites, and let users pick the final winner each week.
- Want to get NFL.com’s top 10 headlines sent to your inbox daily? Click here for details.