When you join Hall of Famers Walter Payton and Gale Sayers as the only Bears running backs ever to rush for 200 yards in a game, you’re big-time in Chicago.
Speaking of appreciation, Forte has made it clear that he’s not feeling it from Bears GM Jerry Angelo. Forte isn’t happy about playing out the final year of his rookie contract for $600,000. He wants a new deal — sooner rather than later. Can you blame him?
Forte is second in the NFL only to Wes Welker for yards from scrimmage with 634 (by one yard, too). His value to the Bears, with their crappy offensive line and correlating inconsistency from QB Jay Cutler, is ridiculous — definitely more than $600,000. Still, Forte said Monday that negotiations have been dead between his camp and the Bears.
“Currently we haven’t really been talking,” Forte said on ESPN 1000-AM. “After some of the games my agent has called them a few times, but no progress has really been made since then. But hopefully today or this week they will be talking again.”
Based on his comments Monday on “Around the League”, Heath Evans probably can’t understand, either, what’s taking so long for Angelo to pony up the cash.
“Any team in the league would die to have this back,” Evans said. “He catches the ball, he protects his quarterback, he understands route combinations, he understands how he fits into each and every play. You watch this kid play on a Sunday afternoon, he knows what’s going on. And that’s rare.
“A lot of backs just want to get the ball and take off. This kid studies the game. He knows what he’s seeing, and he knows how to exploit defenses. … This offense, this defense, this team is tied to his success.”