Published: August 28th, 2011 | Tags: Preseason Week 3 injuries 2011, Antoine Winfield, Arian Foster, Byron Leftwich, D.J. Williams, Dan Connolly, Desmond Clark, Major Wright, marion barber, Martellus Bennett, Maurkice Pouncey, Rashad Jennings, Wes Welker
Here’s a quick roundup of the notable player injuries from Saturday’s preseason games:
- Texans RB Arian Foster, last season’s NFL rushing champion, was forced out against the 49ers after aggravating a left hamstring injury during the first quarter. It’s the same hamstring that Foster hurt during his first practice of training camp, which kept him sidelined for nearly two weeks and caused him to miss the team’s first preseason game. Texans LB Xavier Adibi also suffered a stinger in the game. Nick Scurfield passed along some postgame bits from coach Gary Kubiak, including this on Foster: “We have, 15 days, so we’ll just keep our fingers crossed that he recovers.”
- The Steelers’ preseason victory over the Falcons was a costly one. Coach Mike Tomlin said during his postgame news conference that QB Byron Leftwich, the team’s main backup to Ben Roethlisberger, sustained a broken left arm during the third quarter. The injury could solve the backup QB competition, as Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch also are vying for roster spots. The other significant injuries included CB Keenan Lewis (knee), NT Casey Hampton (ankle) and TE Miguel Chavis (torn pectoral), whom Tomlin said would all be evaluated. Starting center Maurkice Pouncey re-aggravated his ankle injury, but Tomlin didn’t consider it a “major deal.”
- The Patriots lost starting right guard Dan Connelly to a left ankle injury against the Lions and also announced that WR Wes Welker left the game with a neck injury after he made a tackle on an interception return late during the second quarter.
- Vikings CB Antoine Winfield was sidelined by an apparent right shoulder injury against the Cowboys. Winfield told the team’s game broadcast he was OK and was held out as a precaution.
- Cowboys TE Martellus Bennett was carted off the field at Metrodome during the third quarter. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported that X-rays were normal, although it’s feared Bennett has a high ankle sprain.
- The Broncos announced LB D.J. Williams wouldn’t return to the game against the Seahawks after suffering a sprained right elbow during the first quarter. The Denver Post later reported that Williams is expected to be sidelined 3 to 4 weeks, meaning he could miss the Broncos’ first two regular-season games.
- The Bears lost RB Marion Barber (calf) and TE Desmond Clark (left knee) to injuries against the Titans. Barber left the game during the first half and didn’t return, and Clark was carted off the field during the fourth quarter after he was hit by Titans safety Anthony Smith. Bears safety Major Wright also left the game with an undisclosed injury.
- Backup RB Rashad Jennings suffered a knee injury on the Jaguars’ opening series against the Bills. Jennings was starting in place of Maurice Jones-Drew, who has yet to play during the preseason.
— Frank Tadych