Vikings release longtime LT McKinnie

UPDATE: The Vikings announced McKinnie’s release and also pointed out that they had signed former Colts OT Charlie Johnson on Monday. Johnson could serve as McKinnie’s replacement.

The Vikings released former Pro Bowl LT Bryant McKinnie, according to a league source. McKinnie tweeted “Its been fun” on Tuesday afternoon, but didn’t provide any context to that comment.

McKinnie, who turns 32 next month, had been the Vikings’ starting left tackle since being drafted No. 7 overall in 2002. He was on the non-football injury list in training camp and was due a $4.9 million salary and a $1 million roster bonus.

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier told The Associated Press on Monday that “Bryant’s going to be fine,” despite concerns about his weight.

“We’ve just got to go through some things and get him ready for the things that are ahead,” he said.

McKinnie would only say: “I have some issues with my something … I just got some issues.”

Guidelines: Fan feedback should be within the guidelines for the NFL community. These guidelines will be used to identify those comments that will be removed from display on the site. Please keep your comments relevant to the topic, not abusive or combatant towards other fans, and don’t share any personal details. Use the “Report” link to help keep the community at its best.

Comments may be no longer than 2000 characters and will post to the site shortly after submitting.

Powered by WordPress.com VIP | Subscribe (RSS)

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,381 other followers