As we mourn the passing of Hall of Fame tight end John Mackey, it got NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche thinking about how Mackey revolutionized his position back in the 1960s. Mackey’s combination of superb talent and versatility turned him into a weapon unlike any seen before in the NFL. Could there be as revolutionary a performer in the league today? Wyche took a crack at that question, and came up with a few players who could make such a mark before their careers conclude.
Here’s what else is on tap Friday:
- As for Mackey, make sure you check out Jason La Canfora‘s piece on the impact Mackey had on the city of Baltimore and the entire NFL community.
- In case you missed Thursday’s sitdown with Plaxico Burress, here’s what he had to say about his recently finished prison stay.
- Friday’s Instant Debate question: Will Tom Brady still be No. 1 in the list of the NFL’s top players after the 2011 season is over? Our experts weigh in.
- In light of Kerry Collins‘ retirement, Bucky Brooks chimes in to say the Titans better look at signing another veteran passer — perhaps Matt Hasselbeck.
- Speaking of the Titans, longtime Tennessee linebacker Keith Bulluck, most recently with the New York Giants, will be live in studio tonight on “NFL Total Access.” We’ll have a Q&A here on NFL.com as well.
- Whether or not you caught yesterday edition of “The Rich Eisen Podcast” with the cast of “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” you must check out the bonus videos that were posted last night on Eisen’s blog page.
- For your listening pleasure today, here’s the Dave Dameshek Football Program. In this week’s episode, the boys continue their best uniforms playoff bracket.
- Will Maurice Jones-Drew be healthy enough to help your fantasy team this season? Here’s the fantasy scoop.
- Wrap up your week with a Bucky Brooks chat on NFL.com today at noon ET. Submit a question here.