Happy birthday, Nnamdi Asomugha. The Raiders’ Pro Bowl cornerback turns 30 Wednesday. Safe to assume he’ll be celebrating with people who care about him.
Here’s hoping, for the big three-oh, he gets a present better than the one NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks has for him. Brooks – not really in honor of Asomugha’s birthday but really on the occasion of yesterday’s Player 2K feature debating the best cornerback of the new millennium -– is writing a piece later this morning about Asomugha’s value as perhaps the biggest name out there when free agency finally begins. And let’s just say it’s not exactly the nicest thing to say on his birthday. Nothing insulting, but Brooks will make the case that teams shouldn’t break the bank for Asomugha. Happy birthday, big guy!
Here’s what else is on tap Wednesday:
- Who is the top quarterback of the new millennium? Not much suspense as to which players are in the final two.
- Okay, so there might be a debate as to which player is the “QB2K.” Thanks to Data Points, we can at least tell you who the hands-down “Player 4K” is.
- Meetings between the legal teams for the league and the players continue in New York today. Here’s the latest on the labor front from Albert Breer.
- Webisode No. 1 of “Ndamukong 3000” sees Lions DT Ndamukong Suh racing around London.
- It’s never too soon to prepare for your fantasy draft, so here’s a look at some key sleepers for 2011, courtesy of NFL.com fantasy editor Michael Fabiano.
- After Auburn coach Gene Chizik appeared last night on “NFL Total Access,” they presented a look at the top Auburn Tigers currently in the NFL. Did Cam Newton show up on that list?
- In case you missed it yesterday, here’s your daily reminder to check out the Rich Eisen Podcast Thursday –- both here on NFL.com and on NFL Network at 10 p.m. ET. We’ve got a few sneak previews of Eisen’s sit-down with the cast of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” on Eisen’s blog page.
- You might have heard this by now, but just in case: In yesterday’s live chat on NFL.com, senior analyst Gil Brandt said he thought Brett Favre just might be interested in coming back this season.
- How’s that for a tease for NFL.com chats? NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora will jump in live today at noon ET. Submit a question here.