When it comes to the greatest players in St. Louis Cardinals history, the list isn’t terribly long. So it came as somewhat of a surprise to us that two of the best players ever to don a St. Louis Cardinals uniform celebrate birthdays one day apart.
As we pointed out yesterday, Wednesday was Dan Dierdorf’s birthday. And today, one of the last real two-way football players blows out the candles: Receiver/cornerback Roy Green turns 54.
Green, for those who don’t recall, was a defensive back when he joined the Cardinals in 1979. He started eight games in his first three seasons and had four career interceptions. He moved to receiver in 1982, and all he did was catch 66 touchdown passes and rack up nearly 9,000 receiving yards.
Okay, history lesson’s over. Here’s what else is on tap Thursday:
- Mall cop, zookeeper and rabid Jets fan Kevin James stops by the latest edition of the Rich Eisen Podcast, which launches today.
- In the meantime, here’s a sneak-peek video of podcast guest Dhani Jones telling Eisen why the lockout actually has been a benefit to players.
- Our “Player 2K” series continues with a look at the best safeties of the millennium. It’s a two-horse race between Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu.
- In case you missed this yesterday, we bid adieu to the great Vic Carucci, who penned his final NFL.com column before moving to a cool, new gig.
- We don’t have a date set for the supplemental draft, but former Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor is getting ready for it — and he has a high-profile coach helping him.
- After a busy day on the labor front yesterday when Commissioner Roger Goodell and DeMaurice Smith spoke to rookies together, they’re back at the bargaining table today. Here’s the latest from Albert Breer.
- Enjoy this video clip, in which Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew and Falcons WR Roddy White break down their touchdown dances.
- At least one person involved in the planning for a new football stadium in Los Angeles will benefit, no matter which location is picked to house a team. Who’s the lucky guy?
- NFL.com senior writer Steve Wyche, fresh off his visit to the Buccaneers’ player-only workouts and the NFLPA rookie symposium, drops by for his weekly live chat on NFL.com. Submit a question now.