Published: May 25th, 2011 | Tags: First and 10, Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Colt McCoy, Dancing With The Stars, Emmitt Smith, Gary Kubiak, Hines Ward, Houston Texans, J.J. Watt, Nnamdi Asomugha, Pittsburgh Steelers, Plaxico Burress
Congratulations to Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Hines Ward – your newest “Dancing With the Stars” champion. Unbelievably, that makes not one but two players who can boast a DWTS trophy and a Super Bowl MVP trophy on their mantel. Ward joins Emmitt Smith, Season 3 champ of the ABC phenomenon.
For the record, seven other current or former NFL players have competed on DWTS. Jerry Rice, Jason Taylor and Warren Sapp actually made it to the finals and lost. Others to compete include Michael Irvin, Kurt Warner, Chad Ochocinco, and Lawrence Taylor. Clearly, NFL players have represented themselves well on the dance floor.
Here’s what else is on tap today:
- When the Steelers and Ravens meet, it’s always an instant classic. So it’s no surprise that their playoff game from last season turns up at No. 13 on our list of the top 20 games of 2010.
- Wednesday’s Instant Debate question: Which injured player from 2010 will have the biggest impact in 2011? Our experts weigh in.
- In addition to stars back from injury, there are also plenty of young players ready to emerge. NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks looks at a few who could be on that list, including a couple from the NFL’s defending champs.
- Later today, Brooks will have another feature up on NFL.com. He’ll use the Interactive Scouting Report to examine the strengths and weaknesses of veteran WR Plaxico Burress, who will be looking for a new team when he gets out of jail next month.
- Reacting to the news that Browns president Mike Holmgren has yet to anoint Colt McCoy as his starting quarterback, NFL Network’s Brian Baldinger says that McCoy is clearly the best option.
- We mentioned yesterday that Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak would be on “NFL Total Access.” Here’s what he had to say about a variety of topics, including WR Andre Johnson’s recruiting of free-agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha.
- Speaking of the Texans, episode 15 of NFL.com’s enlightening and dramatic Everything to Prove series goes behind the scenes with Texans’ top draft pick J.J. Watt. Promises to be an enjoyable watch.
- At least three NFL teams – the Chiefs, Rams and Colts – have begun chipping in to help victims of the tragic tornadoes in the Midwest.
- Today’s NFL.com chat features NFL Network Insider Jason La Canfora. Submit a question here.