Who says the NFL and the NFLPA don’t get along? The NFLPA is holding its annual Rookie Premiere event in Los Angeles on Friday, with recent draft picks from all 32 teams on hand — mainly to have photos taken for football cards. The NFLPA has been kind enough to allow NFL Network and NFL.com cameras into the event, and we’ll have plenty of great coverage throughout the weekend. And in the meantime, two of the most high-profile rookies — former Heisman Trophy winners Cam Newton and Mark Ingram – will be stopping in later today at the NFL Network studios. Be sure to check in later on NFL.com to see what they had to say, and then check them out tonight on “NFL Total Access.” You might even get to see dueling Heisman poses.
Here’s what else is on tap today:
- Amazingly, sweet 16 on our list of the top 20 games of 2010 is a bizarre matchup that featured a battle of two third-string quarterbacks on Christmas night. You read that right. Here’s the story of John Skelton vs. Jon Kitna.
- Do you know what DDFP stands for? Dave Dameshek For President? Nope, although we think Dave might make a case for that. No, it’s the Dave Dameshek Football Program, and his latest podcast can be heard here.
- Now that legendary NBA star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has said the Lakers should build a statue of him outside the Staples Center, what NFL stars merit their own statues? Vic Carucci took a team-by-team look at who’s statue-worthy.
- Speaking of noteworthy tributes, yesterday’s Pick Six looked at which players have bragging rights when it comes to the most hardware in their trophy cases. Meanwhile, be on the lookout for Friday’s Pick Six, which will be posted later today. It’s a video Pick Six looking at some of the greatest gridiron collisions.
- Also on tap later today on NFL.com is Friday’s Instant debate. Which small-market team would you most hate to see relocated? Our experts share their thoughts.
- Marcedes Lewis of the Jacksonville Jaguars was in studio Thursday, and in addition to talking with the “NFL Total Access” crew, he also sat down for this fantasy football chat.
- In Thursday’s Data Points, we told you that the best team of the 2000s was a two-horse race between New England and Pittsburgh. Today, we’ll look at the two-horse race for worst team of the 2000s.
- The Minnesota Vikings will be under the microscope for tonight’s “32 Teams in 32 Days” segment on “NFL Total Access.” They’ll have GM Rick Spielman on Vikings Cam to discuss.
- Last but not least, NFL.com’s Vic Carucci checks in for his football Friday chat. Ask him about his proposal for NFL statues and much more. Chat starts at noon ET. Submit a question now.