Published: March 24th, 2011 | Tags: Chuck Bednarik, Alan Ameche, David Tyree, Dwight Clark, Frank Gifford, Vince Lombardi, Y.A. Tittle
I am not an Eagles fan, but I have a photo of Hall of Fame LB Chuck Bednarik on my desk. One of those classic 50s-era photos, with the players in a pseudo-football position, hair perfectly styled, and not a speck of dirt on the uniform.
Certainly not the photo you think about when conjuring up images of Concrete Charlie. So while we hope for the best during his current hospitalization, we will rank the most iconic images in NFL history.
A list that will certainly include Bednarik.
6. Giants WR David Tyree makes a miracle catch against the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII. (Gene Puskar/Associated Press)
5. Packers coach Vince Lombardi is carried off the field by his team after Super Bowl II. (Associated Press)
4. Dwight Clark and the catch that launched a dynasty in 1982. (Walter Iooss Jr./Sports Illustrated)
3. Alan Ameche scores the winning touchdown during the 1958 NFL Championship Game. (Associated Press)
2. Y.A. Tittle, near the end of his Hall of Fame career, sits bloodied after a hit during a 1964 game. (Morris Berman/NFL)
1. Bednarik celebrates after his hit on Frank Gifford caused a fumble that the Eagles recovered to seal the win in 1960. (John G. Zimmerman/Sports Illustrated)
Comments may be no longer than 2000 characters and will post to the site shortly after submitting.