Now that the 2011 Pro Bowl rosters have been announced, here’s a breakdown of the AFC and NFC rosters:
- The Falcons are tops with seven selections: DE John Abraham, TE Tony Gonzalez, FB Olvie Mughelli, QB Matt Ryan, RB Michael Turner, ST Eric Weems and WR Roddy White.
- The Patriots (6) have the most selections in the AFC: QB Tom Brady, OG Logan Mankins, ILB Jerod Mayo, CB Devin McCourty, FS Brandon Meriweather and DL Vince Wilfork.
- Three rookies are on the AFC squad: McCourty, KR Marc Mariani (Titans) and C Maurkice Pouncey (Steelers). The lone NFC rookie is Lions DT Ndamukong Suh, the only rookie starter in the game.
- Suh is the first Lions rookie to be selected since RB Barry Sanders (1990).
- The most-tenured Pro Bowlers are Gonzalez (11) and Ravens LB Ray Lewis (11). The 11 selections for Gonzalez are the most all-time by a tight end. Lewis was invited to the 12th Pro Bowl of his 15-year career.
- The AFC has 14 first-time Pro Bowlers.
- First-timer Arian Foster is the first Texans running back to be selected to a Pro Bowl.
- Colts QB Peyton Mannnig has been selected to his ninth consecutive Pro Bowl and joins Brett Favre (11) as the only quarterbacks selected to at least 11 Pro Bowls.
- The AFC defensive starters include some familiar names. Colts DEs Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis have been selected as starters for the second consecutive season, as have starting interior linemen Vince Wilfork and Haloti Ngata. Three-time all-stars Nnadmi Asomugha and Darrelle Revis also have been selected as starters for the second straight year. At safety, Ed Reed wins his seventh Pro Bowl nod in nine seasons, and Troy Polamalu claims his sixth AFC all-star berth. Along with Lewis at linebacker, James Harrison is a starter for the fourth consecutive season.
- Seven NFC players will participate in their first Pro Bowl: Mughelli, Ryan, Weems, Suh, Lions WR Calvin Johnson, Packers WR Greg Jennings and Saints G Carl Nicks.
- Julius Peppers is the first Chicago defensive end selected since Richard Dent in 1994. Brian Urlacher is the fourth linebacker in team history to be chosen at least seven times, joining Hall of Famers Mike Singletary (10), Dick Butkus (eight) and Bill George (eight)
- Packers OLB Clay Matthews III and father Clay Matthews, a four-time All-Star, are one of three father-son duos since 1970 to be selected to multiple Pro Bowls, joining Archie and Peyton Manning and Terry and Eric Metcalf.
- Patrick Willis is the first member of the 49ers to make it to the Pro Bowl in each of his first four seasons since Ronnie Lott, starting in 1981.
Comments may be no longer than 2000 characters and will post to the site shortly after submitting.