Adam Rank | Tags: Calvin Johnson, Darren McFadden, Jacoby Jones, Jahvid Best, Jake Delhomme, Jason Campbell, Kevin Walter, Matt Forte, Matt Moore, Matthew Stafford, Michael Turner, Mike Martz, Mohamed Massaquoi, Overreaction Theater, Peyton Hillis, Shaun Hill
Here is the thing that gets overlooked in a game like the Titans blowout of the Raiders. RB Darren McFadden actually had a good game. Seriously. Well at least fantasy wise.
So while the Raiders fans will not overload the Greyhound Bus server booking their Super Bowl travel to Dallas this year, fantasy enthusiasts will likely overvalue McFadden for the rest of the season.
This was a nice game by McFadden and enjoy the points. But we have all seen this from McFadden before. Consistency is what we want. There is a lot of ill-will with McFadden and his inability to live up to his potential. So I will watch his progress with a Bud Grant-like stoicism.
Here are some other overreactions from the 10 a.m games.
- Raiders QB JaJason Campbell is a bust. Well, that might not be too early. Campbell is another guy that is always given the benefit of the doubt, yet fails to produce.
- The Bears are the greatest show on grass. Yeah, this Mike Martz-driven offense looks great in balmy conditions in September. Let’s wait and judge when the weather starts to turn. But no denying, this was a great day for the Bears. And I would not call it a complete redemption for Matt Forte, he needs to do that another week.
- Bills RB C.J. Spiller is a bust. The rookie did not have a great start to the season. Rather forgettable, actually. I wouldn’t give up on him. And some of you opportunistic owners might be able to buy lower, or even find him on the waiver wire if you play with some panicky owners.
- The Lions are done. Let’s wait until we get word on Matthew Stafford‘s injury. But Shaun Hill did rally the Lions, and should have connected with Calvin Johnson for a touchdown at the end of the game. Unfortunately the silliest rule this side of the Tuck Rule prevented that. But you have to like Jahvid Best.
- Falcons RB Michael Turner is done. Let’s not overreact to Turner’s struggle against the Steelers defense. Pittsburgh is healthy on defense and will be very tough this year. Turner is still poised for a big year. Again, maybe another buy low candidate.
- Jake Delhomme is still Jake Delhomme. This might be another one of those cases where this is not an overreaction. Delhomme tossed two picks — one of which was awful. But the good news is that Mohamed Massaquoi look pretty good. Another situation to watch is the running back committee as Jerome Harrison and Peyton Hillis split carries. That would be fantasy death to Harrison’s value.
- Jacoby Jones is a bust. Not so fast. Kevin Walter stole a touchdown, but Jones is going to eventually be the No. 2 guy in Houston. Give Indianapolis some credit.
- Panthers QB Matt Moore‘s days are numbered. The Giants defense was underrated heading into the season. Injuries killed that unit last year. Moore did enough last year to deserve at least a bit more consideration. Seriously, he has done more in the NFL than Kevin Kolb. Let’s give him a break.
— Adam Rank