We’ve watched as quite a few players have publicly positioned themselves for new contracts this offseason as the league heads into an uncapped and largely unknown season. Until Wednesday, none of them have been Broncos CB Champ Bailey.
Bailey has been quiet about his contract, which ends after the 2010 season. According to The Denver Post, the final year of Bailey’s seven-year, $63 million deal will pay him $13 million total by way of salary ($9.5 million), a roster bonus ($3 million) and workout bonus ($500,000) this year.
But Bailey’s agent, Jack Reale, broke the silence Wednesday.
“Are we disappointed the Broncos have not approached us about a contract extension? Obviously, we are,” Reale told The Post. “A player of Champ’s caliber deserves to have the option of an extended contract. This is a guy who essentially was a six-time Pro Bowler (if not for an injury in 2008) in his six years there. Anyone with any kind of football knowledge knows his skills have not diminished, as evidenced by the fact he didn’t allow one touchdown in 80 passes thrown his way last year, played in 98 percent of the snaps and remains one of the best-tackling cornerbacks in the game.”
It probably wouldn’t give the Broncos any leverage that a former teammate, Brandon Marshall, told NFL Network this week that Bailey, even at 32, is still the NFL’s best cornerback. It seems likely Josh McDaniels also got the memo from one of the corner offices that it’s not currently financially prudent to extol the virtues of Bailey, which would be taking a page out of Rex Ryan’s outspoken support given to the contract-seeking Darrelle Revis.