In many ways, we’re fully prepared for this offseason to turn into a Groundhog Day scenario of last offseason, where each day brings us (and then you) different reports on Brett Favre’s decision to have surgery and play again. It would seem we’d be living the same offseason all over again.
That being said, Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press included in his column Wednesday a “hot rumor” that Favre will decline to have surgery on his left ankle. Because Favre reportedly would need a minor procedure to repair the ankle to play again, that would presumably mean he’s not returning in 2010.
Given that this is a “hot rumor,” take it as far as you’d like.
Many are moving forward under the assumption Favre will play next season. But that’s knowing that we don’t know, and that Favre (presumably ) hasn’t made up his mind. I know NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora will have an update on the story on NFL Total Access today after speaking with Favre’s agent, Bus Cook. I was also able to check in with one of Favre’s teammates last week.
“I personally feel that if he can physically play and he and his family are on the same page it would happen,” said the teammate. “We had so much fun as a team. It never felt like we were going ‘to work,’ even though we worked extremely hard.”