Former Lions QB Joey Harrington once told me that the best advice he ever received in football came from Barry Sanders who said, prior to his first rookie minicamp, “Find a good place to get doughnuts.”
Such is life for NFL rookies. Along with huge signing bonuses (for some), comes some humbling in the form errands, fight-song singing and other activities normally reserved for the kids pledging Delta House. Say, who is up for a road trip?
New Panthers QB Jimmy Clausen was given a grocery list by new teammate WR Steve Smith who asked the rookie to bring him some Cactus Cooler, according to the Charlotte Observer. Cactus Cooler is an orange and pineapple flavored soda (it is delicious) is only available in California and Arizona, making it necessary for Clausen to bring it with him on the plane.
Clausen should be lucky that Smith did not request a double-double from In-n-Out Burger.
Some of the other notables from rookie camp:
- New Cowboys WR Dez Bryant was having trouble keeping his breath, and was often kneeling on one knee in between drills according to the team’s official site. Receivers coach Ray Sherman said that he was not surprised because the pace of the practice can shock rookies. Sherman said overall that he was pleased with Bryant. At least Bryant did not have to deal with former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson who once berated a kicker who got winded in camp, tell him, “the asthma field is over there.”
- Jets rookie RB Joe McKnight had a rough morning with three dropped passes and a regurgitation, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.
- “Joe McKnight looked good … when he wasn’t throwing up,” Rex Ryan quipped. “A little anxiety kicked in … Those things happen. He did look good running the football, but he had some drops.”
- You can almost hear McKnight now, “I can’t believe I threw up in front of Coach Ryan.”
- Face it, McKnight. You threw up “on” Dean Coach Ryan.