Published: March 29th, 2010 | Tags: Ben Roethlisberger, Charles Davis, Colt McCoy, Eric Berry, Fran Charles, Gil Brandt, Jamie Dukes, Jared Gaither, Jimmy Clausen, Joe Haden, marion barber, Mike Holmgren, Mike Mayock, NFL Total Access, Rob Sims, Sam Bradford, Scott Hanson
By all accounts, Sam Bradford had a pretty impressive workout Monday. That wasn’ t entirely unexpected.
But Bradford did show NFL teams what they didn’t have a chance to see before his first public workout with a surgically repaired right shoulder — he displayed arm strength and velocity while making 63 throws. The Rams and Redskins are scheduled to work out Bradford privately, but Monday represented the first opportunity to erase any doubts over his shoulder.
Gauging from the reactions of a few bona fide football minds, Bradford impressed just about everyone in attendance. Gil Brandt told me it was the best workout performance he’s seen since Troy Aikman. NFL analyst Mike Mayock came away believing Bradford has enough arm strength to be an NFL QB and will be the Rams’ pick at No. 1. Analyst Charles Davis said he’d be “shocked” if Bradford wasn’t selected by the Rams.
Davis and fellow analyst Jamie Dukes will get into the Bradford story with host Fran Charles to lead off Total Access (7 p.m. ET) later today. Is Bradford to the Rams a slam-dunk, or could the Rams look into other (trade) options?
Here’s a peek at what else is on tap Monday:
- Reporter Scott Hanson is on hand as the Steelers report for offseason conditioning, and will have the latest reaction on Ben Roethlisberger, who won’t work out with his teammates this week.
- Insider Jason La Canfora checks in for the Around the League segment, bringing some serious speculation. Is Marion Barber on the trading block? Are the Ravens listening to offers on restricted free agent OT Jared Gaither? Why does the name of Seahawks OG Rob Sims, also a restricted free agent, keep coming up?
- The State of the Franchise series continues with the Tennessee Titans. Will the Titans focus on defense in the draft?
- Davis and Dukes will debate whether Jimmy Clausen, regarded as the draft’s second-rated QB behind Bradford, is a top-10 pick.
- The Browns have undergone a massive offseason overhaul under team president Mike Holmgren. Holding the No. 7 overall pick, which direction to the Browns turn? We’ve heard the names — from Clausen to Eric Berry to Joe Haden. Davis and Dukes will examine which winding road is best for the Browns.
- The latest in the Draft Journey series following Texas QB Colt McCoy takes an inside look at his pro day preparation.