The opening news conference of the day Wednesday brought us the first public comments from Jake Delhomme since he agreed to a two-year deal with the Browns last week.
Delhomme, widely assumed to step in as the Browns’ starter following the worst season of his career, said he’s not ready to be a backup, but he has been promised nothing as one of three quarterbacks on the roster, along with Seneca Wallace and Brett Ratliff.
“I was not guaranteed anything. I want to make that perfectly clear,” Delhomme told reporters. “I was guaranteed the chance to compete. Very simple. There were no guarantees whatsoever. … I’m here to compete.”
Delhomme discussed what brought him to Cleveland — New Orleans was his only other visit — but the chance to compete was the draw.
“We set up two visits, basically,” Delhomme said. ”There were two areas that I wanted to go to. One was here, one was New Orleans. We had a bunch of other teams call, and what not, but that’s why I waited a little bit to make my trips. One, to let the sting of the release (by the Panthers) get out and let the emotion get out of it. And, to try to write down all the different scenarios — what might work, what might not work.”