Published: March 7th, 2010 | Tags: Arizona Cardinals, Baltimore Ravens, Brodney Pool, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Dallas Cowboys, David Carr, Donte Whitner, Eric Smith, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, James Ihedigbo, Jared Gaither, Kerry Rhodes, Mike Holmgren, New York Jets, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks
The first wave of free agents have already landed, and now the news is giving way to speculation. Could a large number of high-profile names be on the move? Perhaps. Here are some of the hottest rumors along with some updated information about free-agent visits.
- After trading for WR Anquan Boldin on Friday, could the Ravens be working to make another deal? Ravens T Jared Gaither could be on the move after the team only offered him a first-round tender. The Baltimore Sun is reporting that four teams could be in the running for Gaither (the 49ers, Seahawks, Cowboys and Colts).
- New Browns president Mike Holmgren told reporters Friday that he was actively looking at quarterbacks. Could that include free-agent David Carr? The Cleveland Plain Dealer is reporting that the Browns have some interest in the former No. 1 overall selection. A source told the Plain Dealer that Holmgren was interested in bringing Carr to Seattle in 2007, but the quarterback eventually landed in Carolina that season. The 49ers have already had a visit with Carr, and the Cardinals are also believed to be in the running for his services.
- The Buffalo News is speculating that safety Donte Whitner could be on the move after the team retained safeties George Wilson and Bryan Scott. Wilson had moved ahead of Whitner on the depth chart and started 12 games last season. The question is if the Bills could get value for the veteran.
- Don’t be so quick to believe that the Jets are going to turn to safety Eric Smith to replace Kerry Rhodes, who was dealt to the Cardinals. Smith started four games for the Jets in 2009, including starting two games in place of Rhodes when he was benched. But the Newark Star Ledger says that the Jets are also high on former undrafted free agent James Ihedigbo.
- Cleveland S Brodney Pool is scheduled to pay a free-agent visit Monday to Rams Park, his agent, Ben Dogra, confirmed to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Pool is a former second-round draft pick, but missed time last season with a concussion.
- St. Louis CB Jonathan Wade will be visiting the Lions according to MLive.com. The Lions have a need for a cornerback after cutting Phillip Buchanon and Will James coupled with Anthony Henry leaving via free agency. Wade started four games in 2009.