INDIANAPOLIS — With the defensive backs showcasing their speed and quickness on the field right now at the NFL Scouting Combine, it’s worth reflecting on what the power players accomplished in their workouts.
Arkansas offensive lineman Mitch Petrus, who matched a combine record with 45 reps on Friday, set the pace in the bench press, with Georgia’s Jeffrey Owens (44), East Carolina’s Linval Joseph (39), Oklahoma State’s Russell Okung (35), UNLV’s Joe Hawley (35), Notre Dame’s Eric Olsen (35) and Washington’s Donald Butler rounding out the top five.
Butler and Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon were the only non-linemen to enter the top 15 in bench press.
That performance capped a strong overall workout from Weatherspoon, who finished among the top performers in the vertical jump, the 40-yard dash and the 60-yard shuttle. He also attracted attention with his long white tights, and exuberant personality.
Top 10 in reps in the bench press:
- 45: Mitch Petrus, G, Arkansas
- 44: Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia
- 39: Linval Joseph, DT, East Carolina
- 38: Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
- 35: Joe Hawley, G, UNLV
- 35: Eric Olsen, C, Notre Dame
- 35: Donald Butler, LB, Washington
- 34: Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
- 34: Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia
- 34: Brian Price, DT, UCLA
- 34: Torell Troup, DT, Central Florida
- 34: Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri
— Jason Feller