Published: February 24th, 2010 | Tags: Andy Reid, Chicago Bears, Cleveland Browns, Colts McCoy, Dan LeFevour, Donovan McNabb, Drew Brees, Dunta Robinson, Jay Cutler, Jimmy Clausen, Keith Bulluck, LaDainian Tomlinson, Mike Holmgren, New Orleans Saints, New York Jets, Nnamdi Asomugha, Philadelphia Eagles, Sam Bradford, Tennessee Titans, Tim Tebow, Tony Pike
With the Cleveland Browns’ quarterback situation unstable, to say the least, you can be sure that new team president Mike Holmgren is bent on rectifying the situation.
One way to do that is through the draft. And the first way to take a hard, up-close and personal look at the skills of who’s available is during this week’s NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Except there’s one problem: Many of the top QB prospects aren’t throwing at the combine. And that has Holmgren miffed, writes the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Sam Bradford of Oklahoma and Jimmy Clausen of Notre Dame — the only two quarterbacks expected to go in the first round — opted not to throw until their respective pro days in March. … Also, Florida’s Tim Tebow and Central Michigan’s Dan LeFevour will wait for their pro days. …
“I don’t get it (not throwing). Someone has sold a bill of goods to some of these kids,” Holmgren said. “One thing I always told the quarterback was to throw at the combine. Participate. I always thought, at that position, it was a mistake (not to throw). We know you’re going with receivers you don’t know. Very rarely do you get dinged (downgraded) on a combine thing. But it can help you.”
We take it that Texas’ Colt McCoy and Cincinnati’s Tony Pike, the highest-rated QBs intending to throw, figure to be on Holmgren’s good side.
Other stories from around the Web:
- Saints QB Drew Brees tweeted that he’d “love to get LT in black and gold.” That’s his former teammate, LaDainian Tomlinson, he’s talking about.
- The Texans will CB Dunta Robinson hit the market.
- Texans coach Gary Kubiak will miss the combine after having surgery for sleep apnea.
- And yet another vote of confidence from Eagles coach Andy Reid to QB Donovan McNabb.
- Nnamdi Asomugha to the Jets? Right now it seems like a fantasy, but maybe a reality.
- A coin flip will further define the worth of Jay Cutler trade for Bears.
- Titans LB Keith Bulluck is preparing to part ways with Tennessee.