Certainly, several scenarios still exist in the AFC playoff picture, even though the Ravens and Jets control their own playoff destiny. With Week 17’s early games in the books, those remaining possibilities for the other teams waiting on their fate has become somewhat more clear.
Here’s a look at where things currently stand:
- The Baltimore Ravens and New York Jets can still clinch playoff spots with wins.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars and Miami Dolphins have been eliminated, reducing the number of teams fighting for the two wild-card seeds from seven to five.
- The Broncos would need to defeat the Chiefs, and then have either the Jets OR Ravens lose.
- The Texans, who defeated the Patriots 34-27, need two of the following three teams to lose: Jets, Ravens and Broncos.
- After a 30-24 win in Miami, the Steelers can clinch a playoff spot with losses by the Jets, Ravens AND Broncos.