Johnson chooses NFL over another year at USC

Stafon Johnson has notified USC he won't apply for another year of eligibility. (Ben Liebenberg / NFL.com)

USC senior RB Stafon Johnson, who has missed most of this season following a freak weightlifting accident, will not apply for a medical hardship and will turn pro, according to his uncle. Kregg Anderson said Johnson has notified USC coach Pete Carroll of the decision.

Johnson could have petitioned the NCAA for another year of eligibility because of his injury. He instead opted for the NFL and has begun training in suburban Los Angeles.

Anderson said Johnson’s weight is up to 214 pounds after dipping to 188 following the accident in which he dropped a barbell on his throat while bench pressing. Johnson’s playing weight was around 220.

In Johnson’s initial public comments in a press conference last month, he raspily┬ásaid: “God has a plan. Run, Stafon, run.”

Anderson said Johnson’s immediate goal is to earn an invitation to the Jan. 30 Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., so he can prove to NFL teams he is healthy and can take the physical wear of playing football again.

Guidelines: Fan feedback should be within the guidelines for the NFL community. These guidelines will be used to identify those comments that will be removed from display on the site. Please keep your comments relevant to the topic, not abusive or combatant towards other fans, and don’t share any personal details. Use the “Report” link to help keep the community at its best.

Comments may be no longer than 2000 characters and will post to the site shortly after submitting.

Powered by WordPress.com VIP | Subscribe (RSS)

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 5,891 other followers