The eighth Sunday of NFL play shed some light on how the teams stack up. Here’s how I see it …
1. Saints — You don’t drop from the top without losing, and you don’t get off the bottom without winning. La Canfora’s rules of rankings.
2. Colts — We probably aren’t giving their defense enough respect.
3. Patriots — They should be hitting peak post-bye.
4. Steelers — Come out of the bye with a big game at Denver.
5. Vikings — Gotta give it up to Brett Favre. Four TDs in that atmosphere is something else.
6. Eagles — DeSean Jackson is scary fast. If they keep getting after the quarterback they’ll be a tough out.
7. Broncos — Tough gig going on the road against a desperate Ravens team. Second half will be a big test.
8. Bengals — Stay where they were on the bye.
9. Ravens — Much needed aggression from the D. Very formidable team when they bring that approach.
10. Cowboys — Hard to jump on this bandwagon til I see them do it in winter.
11. Giants — The collpase of the secondary has been tough, but they’ll get healthier.
12. Cardinals — Yes, I know they beat the Giants; I’m still putting ‘em one spot lower.
13. Texans — Could they finally be putting it all together? Love how rookie Brian Cushing is playing.
14. Falcons — Division title hopes probably on the line tonight.
15. Chargers — Inability to run the ball is a big concern.
16. Packers — If they could just protect Aaron Rodgers, even a little bit …
17. Bears — I still like them being in the playoff conversation.
18. Dolphins — If nothing else comes of this season, they dominated the smack-talk bowl with the Jets.
19. 49ers — Gave the Colts a good fight, and Michael Crabtree keeps progressing.
20. Jets — Don’t see them overcoming that Kris Jenkins injury. Swagger is gone.
21. Jaguars — Can’t get over the hump.
22. Titans — Change to Vince Young came at least a week too late.
23. Panthers — Can still pound it on the ground when all else fails.
24. Seahawks — Injuries leading to another lost season.
25. Bills — Well, at least TO got in the end zone.
26. Lions — Time off for Matthew Stafford was never gonna be a good thing, but escaping major injury is a huge boost.
27. Chiefs — If nothing else, they worked out a settlement with Larry Johnson during the bye week.
28. Rams — Congrats on ending a 17-week slide.
29. Raiders — Not sure what they do well right now.
30. Browns — The big-boy portion of their schedule is about to begin. Yikes.
31. Redskins — It takes a village to call a Redskins play.
32. Buccaneers — When do they get a W?