The seventh Sunday of NFL play shed some light on how the teams stack up. Here’s how I see it …
1. Saints — Tremendous comeback over the Dolphins, on the road no less. Great halftime adjustments were made by defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.
2. Colts — Getting Bob Sanders on the field probably doesn’t hurt, does it?
3. Patriots — They’re back. (I’m a big Tom Brady guy, but the image of him boarding the plane to London like Mr. Armani GQ Hollywood, with everyone else on the team in sweats, will not be easily shaken. Come on bro. Loosen up).
4. Broncos — They have the best second-half defense and the best fourth-quarter quarterback in the league thus far. Not a bad combination.
5. Steelers — No one wins more ugly games at home than this bunch. Two defensive TDs in the fourth quarter?
6. Vikings — Can’t expect to be on the winning end of an Alcoa Fantastic Finish every week.
7. Giants — Like them long-term, but they need to get healthy on defense.
8. Bengals — How’s that for a bounce-back performance? Cincinnati is getting all its receiving weapons better involved now.
9. Cardinals — NFC West is starting to open up for them.
10. Eagles — I expect them to deliver a proper beatdown Monday night, befitting this weekend of lopsided football.
11. Ravens — Need to make a statement at home against Denver this week.
12. Packers — If they can get Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher healthy, it will help pass protection. They might be making their move.
13. Jets — Leon Washington‘s skill set is not one that can be replaced. Topping 300 yards rushing in back-to-back weeks is mind-numbing.
14. Falcons — Have to tighten up the defense.
15. Chargers — Get a minor bump by beating the Chiefs.
16. Cowboys — That was a nice win over the Falcons. Now they need to build on it.
17. Texans — Starting to turn me around. Defense getting more sound.
18. 49ers — I’m not jumping off this bandwagon yet. Michael Crabtree was more ready for action than I expected.
19. Dolphins — They really should have handed the Saints and Colts losses. Bizarre ways to drop games.
20. Bears — Had to dock them 10 spots for that debacle Sunday.
21. Jaguars — They stay where they were during their bye.
22. Seahawks — Read above comment and apply here as well.
23. Bills — These guys have been hit harder by injuries than anyone else and they keep fighting. They are very young in key spots, but I applaud the effort.
24. Lions — From here on down, it’s an exercise in futility. We’ve reached the dead zone.
25. Panthers — Why are these guys 25th? Because somebody had to be.
26. Chiefs — Could Matt Cassel‘s three picks be haphazardly attributed to reading his press clippings like that other USC quarterback (Mark Sanchez)? Um, yeah, I guess not.
27. Browns — Derek Anderson is completing roughly 40 percent of his passes. Dude has cracked the JaMarcus Russell line. How bad was Brady Quinn again?
28. Titans — No truth to the rumor that Jeff Fisher will wear an Archie Manning throwback jersey to practice. I feel like these guys should be 24th or so, but then I remember the snow falling in New England …
29. Raiders — Now that’s more like what I’ve come to expect from you guys.
30. Redskins — The big-boy portion of their schedule is about to begin. Yikes.
31. Bucs — Could they petition the league to extend their bye by a week.
32. Rams — Seventeen losses in a row and counting.