Published: October 17th, 2009 | Tags: Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Lions, Kansas City Chiefs, Kevin Smith, Matt Cassel, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Oakland Raiders, Randy Hanson, Rex Ryan, Roundup, San Diego Chargers, Sebastian Vollmer, Shaun Phillips, Shawne Merriman, Tashard Choice, Tom Cable
The Oakland Raiders are in the midst of a tumultuous season, ranking 32nd and 31st, respectively, on offense and defense, and being outscored 96-16 in their last three games, all of which has the team off to a 1-4 start.
As if the on-field misery wasn’t enough, the Raiders are also forced to deal with legal matters surrounding their head coach, Tom Cable, and whether or not criminal charges will be filed against him for allegedly punching assistant coach Randy Hanson on Aug. 5 at the team’s training facility in Napa, Calif.
The Sacramento Bee explores the issues surrounding the well-publicized case, adding that the off-field drama isn’t what the Raiders need right now.
“The commissioner of the NFL has weighed in with his concerns, blogs are competing daily with “scoops” based on unnamed sources and talk radio shows are swamped with callers asking whether the Oakland Raiders head coach will face criminal charges for allegedly attacking one of his assistants.
The notoriety adds to the woes of what may be the worst team in professional football today, with a 1-4 record so far this season.
As prosecutors move closer to deciding whether to charge head coach Tom Cable in the assault of assistant coach Randy Hanson on Aug. 5, speculation is mounting that the delay may be caused by a deal in the works.”
Even if no charges are filed, Cable could still face punishment from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.
Other stories around the web on Saturday:
- After combining for nearly 50 sacks in 2006 and 2007, the Chargers pass rushing duo of Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips has been shut out this season.
- Chiefs QB Matt Cassel proves that he’s quite comfortable running a no-huddle offense.
- Lions coaches are putting the pressure on RB Kevin Smith and other rushers to start breaking some long runs.
- Taking after his rough-and-tough father, Buddy, Jets coach Rex Ryan proves the apple hasn’t fallen far from the tree.
- Whatever his role may be, Cowboys RB Tashard Choice has shown that he’s a great option.
- Even growing up in his native Germany, LT Sebastian Vollmer always preferred American football over fútbol and now tackles the NFL with the Patriots.