Published: October 15th, 2009 | Tags: Andy Reid, Bono, Brian Westbrook, Dallas Cowboys, Jeremy Shockey, Josh Freeman, Junior Seau, LeSean, LeSean McCoy, New England Patriots, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Wade Phillips
Eagles RB Brian Westbrook had just eight touches against the Buccaneers last week, a surprising scene to not only fantasy owners and Philadelphia fans alike but to Westbrook himself. Eagles coach Andy Reid has said that Westbook could split more carries with rookie RB LeSean McCoy in the future.
Westbrook told reporters that he understands the situation and he wants to be a good teammate. Via the Philadelphia Daily News:
- “I see the plays and how they’re calling them, and in this offense, you call the plays for a lot of your playmakers,” Westbrook said. “This week, we called a lot of plays for Jeremy [Maclin]. In previous weeks, we’ve called a lot of plays for DeSean [Jackson]. I know that at some point we are going to have to run the ball. At some point, they are going to have to put the ball in my hands. For me, I have to be constantly working on my game, constantly getting better every single week, and I’ll have the opportunity to do what I do with the ball in my hands.”
- People who lament that Westbrook doesn’t have the same magic as he’s had before might not factor in how touches, and lots of them, lead to that magic.
- “You can’t do much without the ball in your hands, as a running back,” he said. “You can block and do different things like that, but you can’t really do too much without the ball. So, I just try to go out, continue to be a leader on this team, continue to try and help the younger guys, whatever I can do to help this team win, that’s what I’ll do.”
Other stories making their way Around the Web.
- Ex-Giant Jeremy Shockey morphs into a team guy with the Saints. The formerly brash, outspoken tight end will face his former team Sunday, but he insists that the game is more about the two teams playing and not him.
- Can Wade Phillips learn a thing or two from U2 frontman Bono? Phillips is implored to think of what Bono would do with the Cowboys’ current situation. Certainly he would start Tashard Choice, right?
- The Bucs don’t have much firepower right now. So the team could turn to its first-round draft pick, QB Josh Freeman, who might receive some playing time.
- LB Junior Seau has returned to the Patriots, and his leadership qualities already are shining through. The one thing that keeps motivating him — that elusive championship.