Published: October 11th, 2009 | Tags: Adam Snyder, Asante Samuel, Ben Watson, Branden Albert, Calvin Johnson, Chris Samuels, Ellis Hobbs, Jonathan Scott, Kawika Mitchell, Kenyon Coleman, Luke Lawton, Marcus Buggs, Matt Light, michael lewis, Mike Patterson, Ricky Brown
Taking a quick look at some of the notable injuries around the league in Week 5:
- Lions WR Calvin Johnson left Sunday’s game against the Steelers in the first quarter with an apparent right knee injury and didn’t return. Lions coach Jim Schwartz didn’t have more information on the injury, other than to say Johnson likely would undergo tests on the knee. “We’ll see where it is,” Schwartz said. “He wasn’t able to go back in and finish. We tried to get a sleeve on it, we tried to get a brace on it. It was a situation where it was still possible if he could feel good with it he could go back in the game. … We just couldn’t get him comfortable.” Schwartz said CB Eric King (shoulder), DE Jason Hunter (ankle) and FB Casey Fitzsimmons (thigh bruise) also didn’t return to the game because of injuries.
- Bills LB Kawika Mitchell was carted off the field with a right knee injury during the second quarter of the game against the Browns. The Bills also lost Mitchell’s backup, Marcus Buggs, who left after suffering a left leg injury while covering a punt in the third quarter. “I’m not optimistic about those injuries,” Bills coach Dick Jauron said. “We’ll find out more tomorrow.” Bills RT Jonathan Scott (ankle) and Browns DE Kenyon Coleman (groin) also left with injuries and didn’t return.
- Eagles coach Andy Reid said CB Asante Samuel (calf), DT Mike Patterson (quad strain) and CB Ellis Hobbs (wrist sprain) were injured in the game against the Buccaneers. Each of the players will undergo an MRI exam Monday.
- Chiefs LT Branden Albert left the game against the Cowboys with an undisclosed leg injury late in the third quarter.
- The Redskins lost LT Chris Samuels to a shoulder stinger during the first quarter of the game against the Panthers. He didn’t return.
- Raiders FB Luke Lawton (ankle sprain) and LB Ricky Brown (ankle sprain) were unable to finish the game against the Giants. Raiders coach Tom Cable said both players had X-rays, which were negative.
- 49ers RT Adam Snyder left the game against the Falcons with a left thigh injury. Safety Michael Lewis suffered a concussion during the third quarter and didn’t return.
- Patriots LT Matt Light was helped off the field during the fourth quarter of the game against the Broncos with a knee injury and was replaced by rookie OT Sebastian Vollmer. Patriots TE Ben Watson was questionable to return after sustaining a head injury.