Published: October 8th, 2009 | Tags: Aaron Ross, Calvin Johnson, Cedric Benson, D'Qwell Jackson, Derrick Mason, Donte Whitner, Eli Manning, Felix Jones, Fred Taylor, Jamal Lewis, Jared Gaither, Kevin Boss, Lofa Tatupu, Mario Williams, Matt Hasselbeck, Matthew Stafford, Paul Posluszny, Rey Maualuga, Roy Williams, Week 5 injuries
The official Thursday injury report has been released, and here are some notable names and updates:
- The Texans held out Mario Williams (shoulder) for the second consecutive day, but coach Gary Kubiak sounded optimistic about the defensive end’s chances of playing against the Cardinals. “He’s getting better,” Kubiak told reporters. “Obviously, if you don’t practice on Wednesday or Thursday, there’s a concern there. But we’ll see tomorrow.”
- The Bengals held out RB Cedric Benson (hip) for the second consecutive day. Benson has missed significant practice time the last two weeks because of ankle and knee injuries, but he has yet to miss a game. Rookie LB Rey Maualuga (knee) was limited in practice after sitting out Wednesday.
- Ravens OT Jared Gaither (neck) was held out for the second consecutive day, and WR Derrick Mason (neck) was limited. Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Wednesday that Gaither “has a chance” to play Sunday against the Bengals. If Gaither is out, rookie Michael Oher likely would move to LT, with Marshal Yanda starting at RT.
- Browns RB Jamal Lewis (hamstring) was limited in practice for the second consecutive day. He has sat out the last two weeks because of the injury. Starting LB D’Qwell Jackson (hamstring) sat out after being limited in practice Wednesday.
- The Bills continue to deal with injuries on defense, as three starters — LB Paul Posluszny (forearm), S Bryan Scott (ankle) and S Donte Whitner (thumb) — were held out for the second consecutive day.
- Cowboys WR Roy Williams (ribs) was one of several starters missing practice for the second consecutive day, joining S Michael Hamlin (wrist), RB Felix Jones (knee) and S Gerald Sensabaugh (thumb). Cowboys coach Wade Phillips hasn’t ruled out Williams playing against the Chiefs, but Jones and Sensabaugh are unlikely to play.
- The Seahawks listed QB Matt Hasselbeck (rib) and LB Lofa Tatupu (hamstring) as limited in practice for the second consecutive day. Hasselbeck, however, took the majority of snaps with the first-team offense, and all signs are pointing toward his return this weekend against the Jaguars.
- Lions WR Calvin Johnson (thigh) was listed as limited after sitting out Wednesday’s practice. QB Matthew Stafford (knee) missed his second consecutive practice as the Lions are being quiet about his status for the game against the Steelers.
- Patriots RB Fred Taylor (ankle) didn’t practice again amid published reports that he might need surgery.
- Three Giants starters — TE Kevin Boss (ankle), QB Eli Manning (foot) and CB Aaron Ross (hamstring) — again missed practice. Veteran backup David Carr could start at QB against the Raiders if Manning isn’t ready.