Published: October 4th, 2009 | Tags: Baltimore Ravens, Calvin Johnson, Chicago Bears, Correll Buckhalter, Detroit Lions, Devin Hester, Eli Manning, Gerald Sensabaugh, Jared Gaither, Matthew Stafford, New York Giants, Patrick Kerney, Rob Sims, Week 4 injuries
Taking a look around the league at some of the injuries we’re tracking during Week 4 action:
- The Lions’ medical staff believes that rookie QB Matthew Stafford might have dislocated his right kneecap during the fourth quarter against the Bears, a league source told NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora. Stafford didn’t return and was replaced by veteran QB Daunte Culpepper. Lions coach Jim Schwartz confirmed that Stafford twisted his right knee. “If he was healthy enough, he would have gone back into the game,” Schwartz said. Lions WR Calvin Johnson also left during the fourth quarter with an undisclosed leg injury, but he said he expected to be OK.
- Ravens starting LT Jared Gaither was hospitalized for further testing after being injured in a collision during the second quarter against the Patriots. Gaither, who was taken off the field on a stretcher, did have movement in both his arms and legs, and X-rays were negative, team sources told La Canfora. “We knew it wasn’t serious (even before the tests),” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. “We’ll see how long he’ll be out.”
- Giants QB Eli Manning suffered a bruised heel during the fourth quarter against the Chiefs and didn’t return. Manning downplayed the injury following the game, saying he’d know more after he woke up Monday. He wasn’t sure tests would be necessary. “I don’t know, we’ll have to see tomorrow,” Manning said. “I can move around, and there is just some discomfort.”
- Bears WR Devin Hester didn’t return to the game against the Lions after sustaining a shoulder injury during the second quarter. La Canfora reports that Hester has a stiff neck and is expected to be fine after the team’s bye week.
- Colts LT Charlie Johnson injured his knee during the game against the Seahawks and didn’t return.
- Seahawks LG Rob Sims (sprained left ankle) and DE Patrick Kerney (pulled groin) were injured against the Colts.
- Raiders coach Tom Cable said OT Cornell Green (calf), S Tyvon Branch (groin) and TE Zach Miller (concussion) sustained injuries against the Texans, but he didn’t offer any updates.
- Cowboys starting SS Gerald Sensabaugh left the game against the Broncos and will have X-rays done on his right thumb. The Cowboys played Ken Hamlin and Patrick Watkins in Sensabaugh’s place.
- Broncos RB Correll Buckhalter left during the third quarter with an ankle injury and was on crutches after the game.