Published: September 27th, 2009 | Tags: Albert Haynesworth, Bryan Scott, Chad Pennington, Cortland Finnegan, Demetrius Bell, Donte Whitner, Dwight Freeney, frank gore, Hunter Hillenmeyer, James Butler, Laurence Maroney, Laurent Robinson, Leodis McKelvin, Leon Hall, Marc Bulger, Nick Roach, Sean Considine, Shawne Merriman, Tank Johnson, Vince Wilfork, Vincent Fuller, Week 3 injuries
It’s time to look at some of the key injuries we’re following around the league in Week 3:
- Dolphins QB Chad Pennington suffered a right shoulder injury early in the second half against the Chargers and was replaced by Chad Henne. Chargers OLB Shawne Merriman also left the game with a groin injury that had limited him in practice during the week.
- The 49ers lost RB Frank Gore early in the game against the Vikings because of a right ankle injury. Gore didn’t return, and NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora reports that the running back sustained a high ankle strain that likely will keep him out at least two weeks.
- Colts DE Dwight Freeney left the game against the Cardinals with a right quadriceps injury and later said he will have an MRI. The four-time Pro Bowler said he “felt something pop” when he was hurt.
- The Rams suffered several injuries against the Packers, as QB Marc Bulger (bruised right shoulder), WR Laurent Robinson (ankle) and S James Butler (knee) all left the game and didn’t return. Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said further evaluation was necessary before he knew how much time the players would miss.
- Bills starting CB Leodis McKelvin didn’t return to the game against the Saints after aggravating an ankle injury during the first half. The Bills also lost starting safeties Donte Whitner (thumb) and Bryan Scott (ankle) and starting LT Demetrius Bell (groin).
- Patriots RB Laurence Maroney (thigh) and NT Vince Wilfork (ankle) didn’t return to play against the Falcons after leaving with injuries.
- The Lions lost two starters — RB Kevin Smith (right shoulder) and SS Marquand Manuel (undisclosed) — to injuries against the Redskins. Lions coach Jim Schwartz said after the game that he didn’t know the seriousness of Smith’s injury. Manuel entered the game with an existing knee injury.
- Redskins DT Albert Haynesworth was able to return during the second half after he was carted off the field during the second quarter with a right hip injury.
- Bears MLB Hunter Hillenmeyer didn’t return after leaving the game during the third quarter with a rib injury, but replacement Nick Roach played well in the victory over the Seahawks.
- Bengals CB Leon Hall (knee) and DT Tank Johnson (right foot) sustained injuries against the Steelers. Rookie LB Rey Maualuga, who was carted off to the sideline with a knee injury during the third quarter, was able to return.
- Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said starting SS Sean Considine suffered a groin injury against the Texans, but he didn’t know the extent of it.
- Titans coach Jeff Fisher said during his postgame news conference that CB Cortland Finnegan (hamstring) and CB Vincent Fuller (broken arm) had sustained injuries against the Jets, but he didn’t comment on their severity.