Published: September 20th, 2009 | Tags: Asante Samuel, Brad Butler, Brian Westbrook, Chad Clifton, Chester Pitts, Craig Hentrich, Derek Schouman, DeSean Jackson, Dimitri Patterson, Jason Smith, Jerious Norwood, Leodis McKelvin, Matt Hasselbeck, Peria Jerry, Randy Thomas, Shawn Nelson, Troy Williamson, Week 2 injuries
With the first 14 games of Week 2 in the books, here’s a look at key injuries sustained around the league today:
- Seahawks QB Matt Hasselbeck left the game against the 49ers just before halftime with a bruised rib and didn’t return.
- The Eagles had injuries to several key regulars — CB Asante Samuel (stinger), RB Brian Westbrook (ankle), DB Dimitri Patterson (hand fracture) and WR DeSean Jackson (groin strain).
- The Bills lost RT Brad Butler (knee), CB Leodis McKelvin (ankle) and TEs Derek Schouman and Shawn Nelson (shoulder) to injuries during the first half against the Bucs, and it was later announced that none of the players would be able to return. Butler and Schouman’s injuries appear to be the most serious.
- The Redskins lost RG Randy Thomas to a strained right triceps injury during the first half against the Rams. Redskins coach Jim Zorn said Thomas would be further evaluated Monday, but LB Rocky McIntosh later said via Twitter that the lineman was lost for the season.
- Rams rookie RT Jason Smith left with a knee injury in the second quarter against the Redskins and didn’t return. Smith will undergo an MRI exam, according to coach Steve Spagnuolo.
- Titans P Craig Hentrich pulled a calf muscle against the Texans and didn’t return. Coach Jeff Fisher said Hentrich’s status for next week is uncertain.
- The Falcons lost DT Peria Jerry and RB Jerious Norwood to injuries against the Panthers. Jerry suffered an undisclosed injury during the fourth quarter and appeared to be favoring his left leg as he was helped to the sideline. Norwood sustained a head injury during the first quarter and didn’t return.
- Packers LT Chad Clifton was carted off the field against the Bengals with an ankle injury during the third quarter and didn’t return.
- Texans starting LG Chester Pitts suffered a sprained right knee late in the second quarter against the Titans. Pitts had a teammate fall into his leg while blocking and had to be helped off the field.
- Jaguars WR Troy Williamson left Sunday’s game against the Cardinals late in the second quarter with an undisclosed injury and didn’t return. Williamson was able to leave the field under his own power, with trainers holding his right arm and shoulder. Jaguars rookie CB Derek Cox also suffered a concussion.
- The Jets lost CB Lito Sheppard (right quadriceps) and CB Donald Strickland (ankle) to injuries. Neither player returned to the game against the Patriots.