Published: September 13th, 2009 | Tags: Andre Davis, Anthony Gonzalez, Danny Ware, Donovan McNabb, Gerald Sensabaugh, Hakeem Nicks, Injuries, James Davis, Jermon Bushrod, Josh McCown, Leroy Hill, Week 1
The Eagles’ season-opening victory over the Panthers was dampened by the news that QB Donovan McNabb suffered a fractured rib.
McNabb was injured midway through the third quarter on a 3-yard touchdown run and didn’t return. He was replaced by backup Kevin Kolb, the only other quarterback on Philadelphia’s active roster.
Eagles coach Andy Reid briefly announced the injury during his post-game news conference but didn’t elaborate on it. McNabb didn’t speak to the media.
Reid is scheduled to have a news conference at noon ET Monday, where it’s expected he’ll talk more about the injury.
“Donovan is very resiliant,” Eagles RB Brian Westbrook said. “He heals pretty fast. I think he’ll be able to play next week, just how much can he tolerate the pain? I’m sure he’s going to be very sore. He’s not going to get a lot of sleep these next few days.”
Here’s a look at several other injuries we’ve been tracking in Week 1:
- Colts WR Anthony Gonzalez suffered a strained right knee ligament during the first quarter against the Jaguars and could be out several weeks. Backup WRs Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon saw increased playing time after Gonzalez exited.
- Seahawks starting OLB Leroy Hill was lost to a groin injury during the first quarter against the Rams, and MLB Lofa Tatupu later left with a hamstring injury.
- Saints LT Jermon Bushrod, who was replacing injured starter Jammal Brown, left in the second quarter against the Lions with a right leg injury. He returned later in the game.
- The Giants lost backup RB Danny Ware to a dislocated left elbow on the opening kickoff of the season against the Redskins. Rookie WR Hakeem Nicks also suffered a lower left leg injury, leaving the game during the fourth quarter.
- Browns rookie RB James Davis sustained a shoulder injury during the second half against the Vikings.
- Panthers No. 2 QB Josh McCown saw limited action in relief of starter QB Jake Delhomme before he was injured during the second half against the Eagles. Panthers coach John Fox described McCown’s injury as a sprained knee and foot.
- Cowboys S Gerald Sensabaugh left the game against the Buccaneers with sore ribs after a fourth-quarter collision with WR Michael Clayton.
- Texans WR Andre Davis suffered a concussion late in the game against the Jets and didn’t return.