San Francisco 49ers rookie WR Michael Crabtree missed all of training camp because of a contract holdout. And barring an unforeseen turn of events in the next 24 hours, the 10th overall draft pick also will miss the 49ers’ fourth and final preseason game Friday against the San Diego Chargers.
Judging by 49ers coach Mike Singletary‘s reaction Thursday, it almost appears that Crabtree is indeed out of sight, out of mind.
Singletary was asked during a media session if he believes anything will soon happen in the Crabtree negotiations.
“At this point, and ever since the very beginning, my response has not changed,” Singletary said. “These guys out here have been busting their tails and doing their job. It is the same scenario. If it happens, fine. If it doesn’t, we are going to keep moving forward. I’m not looking back.”
NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora examined the curious case of Crabtree and the 49ers, who own his rights until the 2010 draft. La Canfora noted that because we are within 30 days of the start of the regular season, the 49ers also can’t trade Crabtree’s rights until the 2010 league year. And if he isn’t signed by Week 10, Crabtree is ineligible to play at all this season.
Crabtree is now alone on this front, the last unsigned pick after No. 6 overall pick Andre Smith struck a deal with the Bengals earlier this week. According to La Canfora, the 49ers have made a slotted offer that falls in the range of $15 million to $16 million guaranteed. That appears to fall accordingly alongside the deals of other first-round picks.
Singletary was unmoved when again pressed about the impact of Crabtee’s holdout, citing his comfort level with the receivers who are with the team.
“As far as Crabtree is concerned, I said it all along: He has to do what he has to do,” Singletary said. “We’re not sitting here contemplating, waiting or anything. We’re not blinking. We’re not flinching. We are just doing what we have to do. We will let that take care of itself.”