Published: August 19th, 2009 | Tags: Aaron Maybin, Brady Quinn, Brandon Marshall, Buffalo Bills, Chris Cooley, Cleveland Browns, David Tyree, Denver Broncos, Derek Anderson, Dick Jauron, Drew Brees, Eric Green, Eric Mangini, Indianapolis Colts, Jim Caldwell, Josh McDaniels, Miami Dolphins, Mike Williams, Phillip Daniels, Sean Payton, Sean Smith, Terrell Owens, Vontae Davis, Washington Redskins
Bills coach Dick Jauron announced WR Terrell Owens’ sprained toe will keep him out of Saturday’s preseason game at Green Bay.
Owens isn’t expected to return until “next week some time,” according to Jauron. Owens has missed two consecutive days of practice following a brief 20-minute workout on Monday.
First round-draft pick DE Aaron Maybin never made it to Bills camp, which closed on Wednesday. Bills.com lead writer Chris Brown notes there has been little progress of late in contract talks with Maybin, and also posted his 2009 camp awards.
As training camps close shop and teams return home, here are a few other notes from around the league:
- NFL.com’s Thomas George was at Giants camp, and also posted his camp report. Giants.com writer Michael Eisen posted a feature on WR David Tyree, one of the five featured players on our On The Fringe series. The Giants got removed DT Rocky Bernard from the non-football injury list, ahd he returned for limited practice activities with CBs Corey Webster (hip) and CB Aaron Ross (hamstring). Giants coach Tom Coughlin said he had no update on when DL Chris Canty would be back.
- Broncos WR Brandon Marshall made his first public comments Wednesday on how the team handled his acquittal on misdemeanor battery charges last week, admitting there are trust issues between he and the team. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels also addressed the media, taking questions on why Marshall is working with the scout team. The Broncos posted video of Marshall’s post-practice comments to reporters. The team’s official blog noted several starters missed the morning practice session.
- The Dolphins released veteran CB Eric Green, leaving rookies Sean Smith and Vontae Davis to contend for a starting job. NFL.com senior analyst Pat Kirwan observed on a recent visit to Dolphins camp that Smith, the team’s second-round pick, appeared to be ahead of Davis, a first-round pick.
- Browns coach Eric Mangini is still keeping his starting quarterback a secret. Zac Jackson noted on Clevelandbrowns.com that the coaching staff has tracked every snap between Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn throughout camp, and just four snaps separate the two.
- Redskins TE Chris Cooley (back) and DE Phillip Daniels missed Wednesday morning’s practice, but both are expected to play against the Steelers on Saturday night. OT Mike Williams, who has not played in the NFL since 2005, is questionable for Saturday after spraining an ankle in practice this week. Williams is competing for the starting right tackle spot with Stephon Heyer and Jeremy Bridges, according to Redskins.com.
- The Colts will be without six starters, including S Bob Sanders, Thursday night against the Eagles. Colts coach Jim Caldwell broke his first training camp on Wednesday.
- Saints QB Drew Brees missed the first of two joint practices with the Texans, but was expected to return later in the day and be back at practice Thursday. Coach Sean Payton met with reporters, saying he expects Brees to still start on Saturday.