Colts starting safety Antoine Bethea has a cracked bone in his right hand, and there’s no timetable for his return, according to coach Jim Caldwell.
Bethea, who missed both of the Colts’ practices Wednesday, will be fitted for a cast. Caldwell said the Pro Bowler will return when he’s able to play with it. Bethea has started each of his 43 career games, including all 16 last season.
Other notes from Colts camp:
- TE Dallas Clark sat out his third straight practice because of a slight concussion and is expected to miss Friday night’s preseason opener against the Vikings. He is expected to return Monday.
- Caldwell noted that he expects to use a backfield rotation this season to help manage the workload on starting RB Joseph Addai, but he said no formula exists in what will come down to a week-to-week strategy. Making his case to be the No. 2 back in that rotation is first-round draft pick Donald Brown, who earned praise from Caldwell for his maturity and professionalism. “I think that’s going to pay dividends,” Caldwell said. You can view a video of Caldwell’s session with reporters here.
- Caldwell said he was “not certain” that safety Bob Sanders would be ready for the regular season. Sanders has yet to return to practice because of offseason knee surgery, but the team is pleased with his progress. “All of us are pleased with how he’s working, and the results,” Caldwell said. “Obviously he’s not out there yet, but he will be in due time. How much time is it going to be? I’m not certain.”
- Starting RT Ryan Diem (back) is making progress, but he will be out for a few days, according to Caldwell.
- Reggie Wayne believes there’s a benefit to playing all three receiver positions in the Colts’ offense. “I love it,” Wayne said. “Two years ago was the best year of my career … no one really understood where I was going to be. I was moving around in the slot, left, right, and I racked up 1,500 (receiving) yards.” Wayne said where he lines up this season is to be determined, partially based on how the young receivers progress.