Published: August 10th, 2009 | Tags: Alex Stepanovich, Charlie Johnson, Chris Wells, Donnie Avery, Felix Jones, Jerry Richardson, John Fox, Kenny Watson, Kevin Kolb, Marlin Jackson, Roddy White, Trent Cole
As training camp practices and news conferences wind down Monday, here are some one-liners (and sometimes more) looking at some of the bigger news of the day:
- Two projected starters for the Colts — CB Marlin Jackson and OL Charlie Johnson — returned to practice for the first time on Monday.
- Cowboys RB Felix Jones missed Monday’s early practice session to rest his surgically-repaired toe.
- Cardinals rookie RB Chris Wells sat out another practice due to his sprained right ankle.
- Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, who underwent a heart transplant during the offseason, attended his first training camp practice and gathered his team for a pep talk. Coach John Fox wouldn’t go into detail during his media session when asked about the message Richardson delivered.
- The Bengals cut veteran RB Kenny Watson on Monday.
- Falcons No. 1 WR Roddy White was back at practice, ending his holdout after signing a six-year, $50 million extension over the weekend.
- The Eagles lost two more players to injuries on Monday, as QB Kevin Kolb (sprained knee) and DE Trent Cole (sprained shoulder) left practice. The Eagles official site reports that neither player will play in Thursday night’s preseason opener against the Patriots.
- Rams No. 1 WR Donnie Avery will be sidelined for 4-6 weeks due to a stress fracture in his left foot.
- The Steelers signed former Cardinals C Alex Stepanovich to address the team’s depth along the offensive line.