Published: June 28th, 2009 | Tags: Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, Drew Brees, Josh Freeman, Julius Peppers, LaDainian Tomlinson, New Orleans Saints, Paul Posluszny, Plaxico Burress, San Diego Chargers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Terrell Suggs
Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik told the St. Petersburg Times that he wants rookie QB Josh Freeman eased into the starting role. Recently, coach Raheem Morris and quarterbacks coach Greg Olson have indicated that Freeman will be competing for the starting job in training camp.
- “The ultimate goal is to let Josh Freeman sit back and learn,” Dominik said Saturday.
- “I still think he’s a 21-year-old quarterback who came out as a true junior,” Dominik said of Freeman. “You’d like for him to grow and mature into his role and not be forced into it.”
Dominik also addressed the Plaxico Burress situation. The Buccaneers have been one of the teams linked to the enigmatic receiver, but Dominik said that the team was confident with receivers already on the roster.
- Ravens LB Terrell Suggs says that he is close to signing a new deal.
- Panthers DE Julius Peppers says that he is open to signing a long-term deal in Carolina.
- Bills LB Paul Posluszny says don’t believe the hype about Terrell Owens. The receiver has been a model teammate.
- The Chargers’ version of the single-wing will be known as “The Frog,” with LaDainian Tomlinson taking on the role of quarterback.
- The Saints are now clearly Drew Brees‘ team as he is becoming the top QB in club history.
- The Lions are trying to win fans over, inviting former season-ticket holders to minicamp in an effort to get them back.