Published: June 26th, 2009 | Tags: Baltimore Ravens, Carson Palmer, Casey Wiegmann, Chris Henry, Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Jim Schwartz, New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, Terrell Suggs
Ravens LB Terrell Suggs has been absent from offseason workouts because of his refusal to sign the team’s franchise tender. However, he is hopeful that he can be with the team — — with a new contract — when veterans report for training camp on July 29.
Suggs told the Ravens’ Web site that he believes the two sides were “getting close” to a new deal:
- “Negotiations are going on with the Ravens. Fans can be optimistic that I’ll be [at training camp].” …
- “We’ve talked,” Suggs explained. “There are some minor things we’re working out.”
Suggs has been a regular starter in Baltimore the past five seasons. In 2008, he earned his third career Pro Bowl appearance after posting 68 tackles, eight sacks, two interceptions (both returned for touchdowns) and nine passes defensed.
Here’s other news as we go Around the Web on a Friday:
- Titans RB Chris Henry, the No. 50 overall pick in the 2007 draft, is caught up in a numbers game behind Chris Johnson and LenDale White.
- Bengals QB Carson Palmer said he’s throwing and then throwing some more to get his arm back into game shape.
- Broadcaster and former NFL QB Boomer Esiason is high on new Jets coach Rex Ryan and believes QB Mark Sanchez has the “it” factor.
- Broncos C Casey Wiegmann can’t make sense of the slaying of his former high school football coach, Ed Thomas, in Iowa, saying: “You feel helpless. There’s nothing you can do.”
- When you just went 0-16, a little tough love doesn’t hurt. New Lions coach Jim Schwartz followed through on his threat to extend the final workout of a three-day minicamp when he wasn’t pleased with his players’ effort.