The Browns could be using more of the “46″ defense this season under new coach Eric Mangini, who has been a fan of the defense for quite some time according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. The defense was the brain-child of former NFL coach Buddy Ryan, the father of new Browns defensive coordinator Rob Ryan.
- “Eric is a huge fan of the 46,” Ryan said. “In New England, you’d be tired after working two-a-days and you’re ready to go to bed and he would be like, ‘No, put those tapes on for an hour and let’s watch it.’ He is the one who eventually got it into New England.
- “We had so much success with it there. It’s something that is definitely going to be a part of this package.”
- Ryan promises he will oversee “an attacking defense, an exciting defense, and we are going to play great football.”
Some other news around the Web on a Monday morning:
- The Dolphins are designing their secondary with stopping the Patriots’ passing game in mind.
- The Cowboys’ hopes in 2009 rest squarely on the shoulders of QB Tony Romo.
- The Bengals have come through the offseason with very little controversy.