Former Colts WR Marvin Harrison, now a free agent, said he has no plans to retire and that he wants to play in 2009, according to his agent, Tom Condon.
The problematic knee that has limited some of Harrison’s speed and overall effectiveness the past two seasons hasn’t been an issue either, Condon said.
“I played in 15 games last year and a playoff game, and I intend to play again this season,” Condon said Harrison told him in a conversation Thursday afternoon.
Harrison, who turns 37 in August, was released by the Colts after the 2008 season, in large part for salary-cap relief. Harrison, who didn’t agree to a restructured contract, was scheduled to count more than $13 million against the Colts’ 2009 cap.
The parting ended Harrison’s 13-year run with the Colts, with whom he established himself as one of the top receivers in NFL history and built up likely Hall of Fame credentials: 1,102 receptions for 14,580 yards and 128 touchdowns.
Last season, Harrison had just 60 catches for 636 yards and five touchdowns — the lowest full single-season totals of his career. He missed 11 games in 2007 because of a knee injury, catching just 20 passes and scoring one touchdown.
There hasn’t been much interest in Harrison at this point, but Condon said he expects his client to sign with a team close to the time that training camps open later this summer.
– Steve Wyche