Source: Nothing will stop Lions from taking Stafford

A source inside the Detroit Lions organization told NFL.com’s Thomas George that neither the team nor QB Matthew Stafford believe any differences in contract talks will stop the Georgia quarterback from becoming the No. 1 overall pick in Saturday’s draft.

Stafford has previously expressed his desire to play for the Lions, and he didn’t waver from that stance Friday.

“We’ve had some good talks, some good visits and sessions, and I would feel very comfortable there and believe I could become a part of growing something special,” Stafford said. “I wouldn’t feel lost there at all.”

Also making his pitch to be the Lions’ No. 1 pick was Wake Forest LB Aaron Curry, who told NFL.com’s Pat Kirwan that he would take less money than 2008 No. 1 pick Jake Long did from the Miami Dolphins.

But Stafford appears to be the Lions’ first choice. The sides have been trying to put the finishing touches on a deal all week.

Guidelines: Fan feedback should be within the guidelines for the NFL community. These guidelines will be used to identify those comments that will be removed from display on the site. Please keep your comments relevant to the topic, not abusive or combatant towards other fans, and don’t share any personal details. Use the “Report” link to help keep the community at its best.

Comments may be no longer than 2000 characters and will post to the site shortly after submitting.

Powered by WordPress.com VIP | Subscribe (RSS)