Bears LB Brian Urlacher was shocked to hear about the trade that brings Jay Cutler to Chicago. The Bears are acquiring a Pro Bowl quarterback (they haven’t had one of those since 1985), but they are losing a very popular teammate, Kyle Orton.
Urlacher’s reaction to the Chicago Tribune was a little subdued,considering what type of quarterback Cutler is:
- “I guess the Bears felt like we needed another quarterback, so they made a move,” Urlacher said. “They gave up a lot. Cutler must be pretty good.
- “I guess we got better as a team,” Urlacher said. “You get a quarterback who is a Pro Bowl guy. But I will say this: I think Kyle Orton is a good quarterback. He’s a great teammate. I hope he does really well in Denver.”
Bears WR/KR Devin Hester was a little bit more receptive, as you would expect, considering that he will be catching passes from Cutler. Hester shared his thoughts on The Monty Show on Sporting News Radio:
- “As far as the GM, they went out there and made a pretty good move. My thoughts go out to Kyle Orton, I feel like he was getting ready to come to his peak, but the NFL is a business and things happen for a reason. But on the other side of the hand now we have Jay Cutler, which has proven himself as a Pro Bowl quarterback. I think he’ll come in and kind of boost up the team and probably fill in some of the pieces we’re looking for.
- “I feel like Jerry [Angelo] and those guys are really making big steps and they’re going out and doing whatever it takes and they’re shocking me because they’re making big moves and things that you know we’ve been striving for to get back to being a Super Bowl team. The moves that they’re making are incredible and we’re striving to be a Super Bowl team.”
The whole league has watched the Cutler/Broncos divorce happen and chosen sides. Some might view Cutler as a spoiled player and malcontent after the way he reacted to the news that he was nearly traded for Matt Cassel. But Urlacher doesn’t believe Cutler will be an issue in Chicago:
- “I would be ticked off too if someone was trying to trade me and didn’t tell me about it,” Urlacher said. “I don’t think Jay is going to be an issue. We have a pretty good locker room, so I’m not worried about that. Hunter [Hillenmeyer] knows him. And [Cutler] seems like a pretty good guy. I’ve never met him but I’ve heard good things about him. I’m not worried about him fitting in.”