Broncos owner Pat Bowlen just placed a yellow “cuidado” sign on all Denver players for the upcoming fantasy football season by announcing that he would try to trade QB Jay Cutler. Just another example of the Broncos hating fantasy players.
The Broncos are expanding their running back by committee to include nearly every able body in the 303 area code, and now this. Sure, the team still has WR Brandon Marshall, but he could face a lengthy suspension for off-the-field troubles. Besides, who’s going to get him the ball? Chris Simms? Maybe Jake Plummer, fresh off the handball circuit? And if Marshall misses games, Denver’s No. 1 receiver is Eddie Royal.
Who would have thought the Raiders would have better fantasy options than the Broncos?
The Broncos once produced great fantasy players such as John Elway, Sterling Sharpe and Terrell Davis. Now the team threatens to be as fantasy relevant as the Ravens’ offense.
Now the question becomes — other than what does Philip Rivers think about all of this — what is the best landing spot for Cutler from a fantasy perspective?
- New York Jets: The team would trade in an older Bus Cook malcontent (Brett Favre) for a younger model. Still, Cutler to Chansi Stuckey doesn’t really grab you, does it? Pass.
- Chicago Bears: Interesting idea. Cutler and Matt Forte (my top pick going into the season) would be a decent combination. But how irritated will you be when Devin Hester drops Cutler’s throws? Pass.
- Minnesota Vikings: The teams almost had a deal recently, but it fell through, according to various reports, because some on the Vikings’ coaching staff weren’t sold on Cutler. Enjoy Sage Rosenfels. The Vikings passed.
- Cleveland Browns: Probably the most likely landing spot because the Browns have a quarterback (Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn) to deal. Intriguing connection possibility with Braylon Edwards. Pass.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Antonio Bryant. Kellen Winslow. Great spot for Cutler. The Bucs have a running back committee working, but they could put up the ball a lot. This would be an ideal situation if not for …
- Detroit Lions. Matthew Stafford has impressed the Lions’ staff, but how many Pro Bowls has he made? Imagine Cutler throwing bombs to Calvin Johnson. Fantasy footballers should demand this happens.