Denver Broncos WR Brandon Marshall escaped legal problems Monday, when the disorderly-conduct charge against him in Atlanta was dropped and the case was dismissed. But Marshall isn’t expected to receive the same treatment from the NFL.
League spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday that the league “will look into” Marshall’s situation, and that isn’t good news for the wide receiver.
When the NFL reduced Marshall’s suspension from three games to one last year, the league did so with the warning that if he was involved in any more legal incidents, it would be grounds for a lengthy ban, according to sources close to the player.
Those who know Marshall and are familiar with his case believe his next suspension will be longer — quite possibly considerably longer — than three games. Aiello said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will review this latest incident in which Marshall and his fiancée publicly argued before police had to separate them.
If he is found to be in violation of the NFL’s Personal Conduct Policy, Marshall could be benched indefinitely. As it is, the situation might influence any talks that Marshall and the Broncos could have regarding a long-term contract extension. Marshall will have to worry about how this incident affects those talks and, more importantly, the commissioner’s thinking about a suspension.