For the next two weeks, no one expects to hear from former Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan. So before he goes underground, Shanahan addressed some of the questions that linger about his past and future. Here are some of the highlights. For the complete interview, click here.
- “He (Pat Bowlen) had a disguise on. They wouldn’t let him in the building because we had just won. Pat snuck by, so I said anyone that can sneak by security, I’m going to work for that guy.” — Shanahan on being courted by Pat Bowlen as an assistant coach following the San Francisco 49ers’ Super Bowl win.
- “I knew we had John Elway, and anytime you have a quarterback, you have a chance.” — Shanahan on coming to the Broncos without draft picks.
- “I got more static for doing that than anything I’ve ever done.” — Shanahan on introducing President Bush during his campaign.
- “I’ll look at our options this year, if not this year then next year. I haven’t been put in this situation for a while, so I’m not really sure what I’m going to do.” — Shanahan
- “I’m not going to do anything for a couple of weeks, that’s for sure.” — Shanahan
- “I will definitely coach again.” — Shanahan
- “I’ll study the game, maybe take some computer classes. I don’t even know how to text.” — Shanahan on what he would do with a year off.
- “This (a Super Bowl trophy) is what drives coaches to stay in the business for a long time. Once you experience one of these, you know how special it is and you want to get back there.” — Shanahan on his passion for coaching.
- “An owner that wants to win … One that gives you a chance to (win a Super Bowl). That’s what drives you.” – Shanahan on who he will end up coaching for when he returns.
For highlights from Part I, click here.