From the moment word leaked that Denver fired Mike Shanahan, my Blackberry blew up with interesting and revealing texts and emails from various NFL coaches and executives.
Here’s a sampling of the most memorable:
- “I’m trying to figure out the firing of a coach in the league being more shocking. The only ones that come to mind are Jimmy Johnson in Dallas or, to go way back, Paul Brown in Cleveland.”
- “Wow wow. We’re all in shock!”
- “Definitely did not see that one. Thought he would be there as long as he wanted.”
- “Few things truly surprise me. This one stunned me.”
- “That’s a bad move unless (Pat Bowlen) has someone better lined up. I know we’ll be glad not to have to play him.”
- “Wow. I can’t believe it. I wonder if the driving force was the owner or fan backlash?”
- “Shanahan to the Jets?”
- “Whew! This business is so unpredictable and crazy! Wow! Wow!”
- “Now let’s see if John Elway winds up back in Denver’s front office.”
That about covers it. The move that drained my Blackberry of its juice stunned the league. Reverberations still to come.