In the season of giving, it’s time to give some gifts to those who deserve them:
- How about a classy sendoff to Browns head coach Romeo Crennel, who didn’t deserve the season he got nor the fate that awaits him Monday.
- A history lesson of the Terrible Towel for the Tennessee Titans, who failed to realize that Pittsburgh’s towels have raised over $2 million for a Pennsylvania school that cares for people with mental retardation and physical disabilities.
- A victory in a close game for the Green Bay Packers, who have improbably and unexpectedly lost seven games this season by a total of 21 measly points.
- Another MVP award for Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, which would tie him with Brett Favre, who also has three NFL MVP awards.
- Let’s give healthy running backs to the Denver Broncos, healthy wide receivers to the Seattle Seahawks and healthy offensive linemen to the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- A deletion of the “interim” tag that now hangs on San Francisco interim head coach Mike Singletary‘s title.
- A quick recovery for Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, who has been missed by everyone except the Miami Dolphins, New York Jets and Buffalo Bills.
- A speedy recovery for Raiders owner Al Davis, who has spent way more time in a hospital recently than anyone should.
- A new home for Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, who should not have to hear anywhere close to the boos he has in Philadelphia.
- More votes for Warren Sapp, who missed his “Dancing With the Stars” victory by about the same margin that Al Gore lost the United States presidency.
- And even more votes for former Broncos running back Terrell Davis, a worthy Hall of Fame selection.
- And let’s give thanks to all owners, front office men, coaches, scouts, players, trainers, equipment men, operations people and everyone that gives their money, their time and their bodies for the benefit of the greatest game there is.
These are worthy gifts this holiday season. And one last gift: Best wishes for a happy holiday season to one and all.