Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt should be considered the anti-Mike Shanahan in fantasy circles as he seems adamant to help your fantasy team — at least for this week.
The Cardinals are still in the hunt for the NFC’s No. 2 playoff seed, which means QB Kurt Warner will play this week against the Vikings. What happens if the Cardinals fall out of that race in Week 16 (championship week for most fantasy leagues) is anybody’s guess. There’s some hope that Whisenhunt won’t sit Warner in Week 16, opting to rest him in Week 17 in order to keep him sharp. And considering Whisenhunt’s reluctance to play Matt Leinart this season, that’s a reasonable hope.
Fantasy players should be prepared for the worst-case scenario in that your fantasy MVP might not play in the championship game. So, here’s a quick list of guys who might be available on your waiver wire and who you might want to be proactive in picking up for Week 16.
- Jeff Garcia. He likely won’t be available in 12-team leagues, but he could be available in some 10-team leagues. The Buccaneers play host to the Chargers in Week 16, and Garcia has been hot recently.
- Trent Edwards. The Bills QB is likely floating around on free-agency lists, and if he returns from a groin injury in Week 16, he gets a favorable matchup against the Broncos.
- Tarvaris Jackson. He could be pressed into further action if Gus Frerotte can’t make it. Fantasy footballers should take note of Jackson’s performance against the Cardinals as it will give us a better picture than what he did against the Lions.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick. Well, there’s no shame in finishing in second. But Fitzpatrick does have a decent matchup against the Browns.
- Matt Leinart. Seriously, you don’t want to win, do you? Leinart does have a decent matchup against the Patriots, but this should be a last resort. Leinart could come out with something to prove, but are you willing to risk a fantasy championship on that?