So the Rams got on the board first, coming up with one more firing than victory. They fired Scott Linehan very early this morning — maybe even late Sunday night — and appointed Jim Haslett as the interim coach.
Haslett is the right choice as the replacement. He will bring a natural fire and intensity to the Rams. But there is plenty of work to be done, plenty. The Rams have been outscored in their past seven losses by an average score of 38-14. But the one thing is, they’ve been consistent.
Over their last 31 games, in which they’re 7-24, the Rams have been:
- Outscored by 32 points in first quarter (44-7 this season).
- Outscored by 33 points in second quarter.
- Outscored by 65 points in first half.
- Outscored by 76 points in third quarter.
- Outscored by 171 points in fourth quarter.
- Outscored by 241 points in second half and OT (+6 in OT).
- Overall outscored by 306 points overall.
And now we know why there was one coaching change. Big question is whether another is coming today.